Monday, June 4, 2007

Am I Really The Only One Who Sees It?

I have spent some time thinking since Ralph Nader's visit a few weeks back. I had ample time to talk with him about many things as we traveled from place to place but the subject we kept coming back to was the 2008 presidential race (which, according to the mainstream media, has already begun).

I have been fairly convinced since John Kerry's (seemingly purposeful) loss in 2004 that Hillary Clinton will be the Democratic contender this coming year. I have been equally certain that John McCain will be the Republican standard bearer. Ralph listened to what I had to say about them and then asked what I thought of Barack Obama. I told him that he was a faux progressive whose candidacy was likely designed to funnel real progressive support away from truly progressive candidates like Kucinich or Gravel. I said I thought it quite likely that Obama would join forces with Hillary before the whole thing was over. "Its a twofer. A woman president and a black vice president. They're shoe-ins."

I asked Ralph what he thought would happen. He said that most people inside the beltway understood the selection process fairly well and that the insiders were betting with me on all fronts - McCain and Hillary (likely with Obama as VP).

Now, I don't believe that we have real democracy here in the U.S. We are most often given a narrow difference between two corporate candidates both of whom are corporate. The one we actually "choose" has very little effect on how well corporate America does after the election because they are both guaranteed to have been corporate America's choice to begin with.

I see McCain and Hillary as obvious and pre-destined because the lapdog media has given them four years of extensive free advertising at the national level. I don;t even need to think about pundits and their blathering. I also don't need to worry about the "polls". I know they will be the candidates because corporate media doesn't give anyone a multi-million dollar advertising deal for nothing.

They are much, much wiser investors than that.

No comments: