Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Thank You To MLK Day Committee

My Dear Friends,
I just can't thank you enough for all of your hard work in planning and organizing and putting together this year's Martin Luther King celebration. The Post-Star's Alyson Martin asked me afterwards why I thought it was a "success". I told her that I would never measure an event to honor such an amazing human being in such simple terms. I told her that anytime people from many diverse backgrounds and communities; churchgoers, activists, farmers, musicians, insurance salespeople, public servants, writers, readers, young and old, differing skin tones (and weights and ideologies and languages) can all join with each other to sing hymns and to celebrate the clear and powerful message of love and good work that the Reverend Doctor had, literally, flowing through him, is certainly a SUCCESS, at least in my book.

Although Alyson could in no way hope to encapsulate last night's happening in a short column in the Post-Star, she did do a pretty good job. I would only fault her for not attempting to capture the preaching of Reverend Leonard Oates (thunderous and emotive and honest and full of the spirit as it was). That said, she did a pretty good job. I just want to say to you all that "I" did not do this. "We" did this and I humbly thank you for allowing me to be part of it.
Peace,
Matt
P.S. For those on the committee (or for those who wish to serve on next year's), we have all talked about having a dinner meeting to start planning next year's event. Please send me suggestions and we'll figure it out. I will go ahead and suggest Glen Street Bistro. They now have a private upstairs dining room (and we all know they have great food at very reasonable prices). Please tell me what weeknights are good for you and where you'd like to have dinner and we'll try to accommodate everyone we can in planning it out.

No comments: