Thursday, August 23, 2007

A Letter to a Vietnam Vet I Met

http://makingandunmaking.com

(I sent this letter out today after reading his amazing book non-stop for two days.)

Dear Larry,

I can only say thank you for your wonderful book. We met briefly at the Kateri Peace Shrine (I am the guy who dropped off bread from his bakery and then had to rush off to drive to Maine to pick up kids). I read your book in two days. I am an avid reader but it has been a long time since a book captured me so completely.
You have done a wonderful and brave thing to tell your story so honestly and openly and it makes the journey totally compelling. I especially appreciated the shared emotion inherent to the earlier parts of your father's terrible story and your own, somewhat less than idyllic, childhood. I would not be so arrogant as to say that I felt your own pain reading your words but I was brought back to a time when my own heart was more open and the world often seemed an unfriendly place. You made me feel unprotected and uncertain again (thats a good thing).
I am very interested in getting your story out there. We spoke of a possible appearance here in Glens Falls. I think that we could organize a fairly successful reading and book signing at my cafe in conjunction with the local indie book shop (they are good friends and good people). We could also organize an event at the local theater where you and other veterans could speak about your experiences.
Please feel free to get in touch and we'll discuss these things. Thank you again for your book. It is certainly, as one of your readers stated, a gift.
Peace,
Matt

No comments: